PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS WEBSITE AND APP
Our Websites and App meets Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) standards and utilises Security Socket Layer (SSL) to ensure any sensitive data is safeguarded.
What's in these terms?
1. Who we are and how to contact us
Our Websites and App are operated by the University of London ("We"). Our main trading address is University of London Housing Services, Student Central, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HY.
To contact us, please email email@example.com, telephone us on 020 7862 8880 or write to us via the above address.
2. By using our Website you accept these terms
We recommend that you print a copy of these terms for future reference.
3. There are other terms that may apply to you
- Our Acceptable Use Policy which applies to all users of our Websites and App
- Our Terms and Conditions for Landlords, Lettings Agents and other Accommodation Providers and Code of Good Practice for Landlords, Agents and Advertisers. If you register with us to advertise accommodation through our housing platform, these terms will apply to you.
- Our Terms and Conditions for Students, Staff and Guarantors. If you register to use our housing platform to search for accommodation or to act as a guarantor for a student or staff member, these terms will apply to you.
4. We may make changes to these terms
We amend these terms from time to time. Every time you wish to use our Websites and App, please check these terms to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time.
5. We may make changes to our Websites and App
We may update and change our Websites and App from time to time.
6. We may suspend or withdraw our Websites and App
- Our Websites and App are made available to view free of charge. We do not guarantee that our Websites and App, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted.
- We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our Websites or App for business and operational reasons. We will try to give you reasonable notice of any suspension or withdrawal.
7. You must keep your account details safe
If you open an online account with us via our Websites or App, you agree to comply with the following security procedures:
- You will keep secret and secure at all times your username and password for your Account and you will never disclose them to any other person or allow any other person to use them.
- You will destroy any notice from us concerning your username and password as soon as you have read and understood it.
- You will use particular caution if you log in to your Account from a public or shared computer to ensure that others are not able to see seen your username and password.
- You will tell us immediately of any unauthorised access to your Account that you know about or suspect.
- We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our Websites and App, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
- You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from our Websites or App for your personal use and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on our Websites and App.
- You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
- Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on our Websites and App must always be acknowledged.
- You must not use any part of the content on our websites or App for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or our licensors.
9. Do not rely on information on our Websites and App
- The content on our Websites and App is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our Website.
- Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our Websites and App, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our Website is accurate, complete or up to date.
10. We are not responsible for websites we link to
Where our Websites and App contains links to other websites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them.
We have no control over the contents of those websites or resources.
11. User-generated content is not approved by us
- Our Websites and App will include information and materials uploaded by other users of the Websites and App. The content of the Website or App is provided for general information only. While we have taken reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information on our Websites or App, all such information is provided on an “as is” basis and, except where prohibited by law, we give no warranty and make no representation regarding the accuracy or completeness of its content.
- The views expressed by other users on our Websites and App do not represent our views or values.
- If you wish to complain about information and materials uploaded by other users please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. Our responsibility for loss or damage suffered by you
Whether you are a consumer or a business user:
- We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
If you are a business user:
- We exclude all implied conditions, warranties, representations or other terms that may apply to our Websites and App or any content on it.
- We will not be liable to you for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, our Websites and App; or
- use of, or reliance on, any content displayed on our Websites and app.
- In particular, we will not be liable for:
- loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
- business interruption;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or
- any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
If you are a consumer user:
- Please note that we only provide our Websites and App for domestic and private use. You agree not to use our Websites and App for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
- If defective digital content that we have supplied, damages a device or digital content belonging to you and this is caused by our failure to use reasonable care and skill, we will either repair the damage or pay you compensation. However, we will not be liable for damage that you could have avoided by following our advice to apply an update offered to you free of charge or for damage that was caused by you failing to correctly follow installation instructions or to have in place the minimum system requirements advised by us.
13. Uploading content to our Websites and App
- Whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload content to our Websites or App, or to make contact with other users of our site, you must comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy.
- You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and that you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of that warranty. This means you will be responsible for any loss or damage we suffer as a result of your breach of warranty.
- Any content you upload to our Websites or App will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. You retain all of your ownership rights in your content, but you are required to grant us and other users of our Websites and App a limited licence to use, store and copy that content and to distribute and make it available to third parties. The rights you license to us are described in Rights you are giving us to use material you upload.
- We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our Websites or App constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
- We have the right to remove any posting you make on our Websites or App if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy.
- You are solely responsible for securing and backing up your content.
- We do not store terrorist content.
When you upload or post content to our Websites and App, you grant us the following rights to use that content:
- The right to republish the uploaded content in any print, electronic or other format.
- The right to use that content for various purposes including to:
- verify your identify;
- carry out credit checks;
- marketing purposes;
- form legally binding tenancy agreements;
- storing data; and
- The right to disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we will disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
15. We are not responsible for viruses and you must not introduce them
- We do not guarantee that our Websites and App will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
- You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform to access our Websites and App. You should use your own virus protection software.
- You must not misuse our Websites and App by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material that is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our Websites and App, the server on which our Websites and App is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our Websites and App.
- You must not attack our Websites and App via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our Websites and App will cease immediately.
16. Rules about linking to our Site
- You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
- You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
- You must not establish a link to our Websites and App in any website that is not owned by you.
- Our Websites must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of our Websites other than the home page.
- We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
- The website in which you are linking must comply in all respects with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy.
- If you wish to link to or make any use of content on our Websites and App other than that set out above, please contact us via email at email@example.com.
17. Which country's laws apply to any disputes?
18. Our trade marks, logos and other intellectual property
You are not permitted to use our trade marks, logos or any intellectual property which we own or license without our approval, unless they are part of material you are using as permitted under How you may use material on our site.
19. Our rights to terminate your account
We may cancel your account at any time for any reason and without notice, including without limitation, if:
- We discover or have reason to suspect that the information or details you have provided to us about yourself is false, misleading, inaccurate or incomplete;
- You are using the services available through your account or the Websites or App for an illegal purpose, or if we have reason to believe that your use would in our opinion jeopardise the security of the Websites or App or your account, or would cause us to be in breach of any contractual duty we owe, or would be contrary, or would be in risk of being contrary, in our opinion, to any applicable laws or regulations; or
20. How we may use your personal information
We will only use your personal information as set out in our applicable Privacy and Cookies Policy.
Last Updated: July 2020