If you access our services you will be asked to provide some personal information for our records. The statement below explains how the University will process this data. If you are a student or staff member using our advice service, please refer to our Student and Staff Housing Advice Use of Service Policy, which contains additional information regarding how we will use your data.
The University of London Housing Services comes under the umbrella of CoSector, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the University of London (UoL), a registered Data Controller. The general University of London Privacy Statement is available at https://london.ac.uk/about-us/how-university-run/policies/privacy-notice
The data we collect
In order for us to perform our services we will need to process your personal data as part of your use of our service. The data we will collect from you may include, and is not limited to the following:
Students and University Staff
- your personal details for example full name, personal and academic contact details,
- information about your course of study and institution or department if you are a staff member
Landlords, Letting Agents, other accommodation providers and advertisers
- your personal details for example full name, address and contact details
- Information regarding the accommodation or service you wish to advertise. For example. The address of your rented property, the rental price etc.
- Financial information to take payments from you. We do hold payment information for any online payments from landlords and agents as this is held by our payment provider, Worldpay. Their privacy statement can be viewed here: https://www.worldpay.com/uk/worldpay-privacy-notice However, we will collect payment information for agents and other advertisers that we send invoices to.
What we do with your data
The University processes the information for the following purposes:
- Providing you with your requested service (such as advertising your property or allowing you to search advertised properties)
- Verifying your student status and other relevant information with your University of College
- Carrying out reporting and analysis on our customers to check and monitor our outcomes and report to our subscribing colleges
- Contacting you for 'service administration purposes', this means that we may contact you for a number of purposes related to the service you have signed up for. For example, we may wish to provide you with password reminders or notify you that the particular service has been suspended for maintenance.
- Contacting you for promotional purposes, such as notifying you of improvements to the service or events run by the University of London Housing Services (you will be able to unsubscribe if you wish)
- Contacting students regarding other University services (you will be able to unsubscribe if you wish)
- Equalities and diversity information, to help us meet our obligations under the Equality Act 2010
The legal basis we use to process your data
The University has to have a legal basis for processing your data and relies on the following approach:
- Collecting the data is necessary for us to fulfil our contract with you to provide a service
- For marketing and promotional emails we process based on your consent
- Using personal data in statistical analysis, with appropriate safeguards to protect your privacy, is necessary for our legitimate interest in improving service delivery
Where we process ‘special category data’, such as that related to your health or equalities and diversity data, we rely on the following approach
- Meeting our obligations under social protection law (health and safety laws, Equalities Act 2010)
- Statistical purposes for monitoring our commitment to equality and diversity outcomes
How long we keep your data for
We will hold your data on our systems for as long as you use the service you have requested and for a period afterwards, and remove it in the event that the purpose has been met. Generally we will take the following approach:
- Ordinarily your data will be retained for 6 years
- Occasionally we may keep this for longer if we have a legitimate interest for doing so. For example, if you have been banned from using our services due to a breach of one of our policies
Sharing your data with third parties
To fulfil our services defined above we will need, where appropriate, to share relevant data with third parties. In using our services CoSector - University of London Housing Services may share data with the following, as appropriate:
- If you are student or staff member, the college or university you are registered with
- local authorities
- auditors and other compliance and regulatory affiliations
- Universities UK
An example of this may be when we wish to check if a landlord registering a property with us has obtained an HMO licence from the local authority to ensure compliance with our Code of Good Practice.
The University may use an external contractor or 'data processor' to store or manage its data. It will process this data only for purposes specified by the University and will be bound by contract to meeting the University's obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation. Where data is passed outside the EEA, the University will take the relevant steps to ensure there is adequate protection in place.
Your personal data will not be passed to any other third party without your consent, except where the University is required to do so by law.
The University of London Housing Services website uses Google Analytics to collect information on how visitors use our site. This information is used to create reporting and analysis to allow us to improve the site for our users. The cookies used by Google Analytics collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited. By continuing your navigation of this site, you are consenting to the University collecting and using your information for the purposes stated above.
You can disable Google Analytics tracking on your browser by following the instructions on the Google site.
You have a number of rights under the General Data Protection Regulation, such as the right of access to your data (the 'Subject Access Right'). For more information please see the University's Data Protection page at the following link:
Finding out more
You can find out more at the University's Data Protection page at the following link: https://london.ac.uk/about-us/how-university-run/policies/data-protection-policy