Legal Advice

We have an experienced team of advisors and can offer advice appointments to students who study at our member institutions, as well as staff working directly for the University of London. Our work is supported by a retained firm of experienced housing solicitors, Anthony Gold, who can be consulted on more complex cases.

We are currently only offering telephone appointments, and our office is currently closed to visitors. Please contact us by telephone or email for housing advice.

Examples of private housing issues we can advise on:

  • Deposit disputes (damage deposits or holding deposits)
  • Disrepair¬†
  • Pest infestations
  • Illegal fees (click here for the latest guidance on tenant fees)
  • Landlord harassment
  • Scams
  • Evictions
  • Issues with landlords or letting agents
  • Problems in private halls
  • Checking your contract before you sign it

If your problem isn't listed above, please still get in touch with us and we'll see if we can help. We will try and help with questions regarding council tax or utility bills, but it is not our area of expertise.

We do not offer legal advice on:

  • Social housing tenancies
  • University of London halls, or any halls run directly by your University.
  • Issues between tenants where both parties are students at our member institutions

If you need advice for an issue in your University hall or if you are a social housing tenant, please see our Alternative Advice guide.

 PDF iconAAC February 2021.pdf

If you are looking for general advice about looking for housing in London, we would recommend our Private Housing Guide. This will guide you through the process of planning your search, inspecting properties, signing the contract and paying deposits.