The ULHS requires any Landlord wishing to become part of the Registration scheme to have a written agreement with their tenants or lodgers.

We feel it is essential for both parties to have a written arrangement and avoid, at all costs, verbal agreements, which can easily lead to disputes.

Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement
This is the most common agreement when letting property and is suitable where exclusive possession of a property or a room is granted for a fixed or an unspecific period of time. You can find a link to the model DCLG tenancy agreement here which can be used free of charge. In the future the ULHS shall be providing a tenancy agreement for registered landlords to use. 

Licence Agreement
This is the agreement most common where a Resident Landlord rents out a room or rooms in their own home and shares living accommodation with their lodgers. The ULHS provide a Licence Agreement for landlords and if you would like a copy please telephone or e-mail us.

If you are not sure which agreement you should be using, we would encourage you to seek legal advice. Please see here for links to places where Landlords can obtain advice.