Complaints Procedure

Why do we have a complaints procedure?

We aim to provide you with a good quality service, but we know that, even in the most efficient of organisations, things can occasionally go wrong and services may not be delivered as they should be.  If you feel that we have acted unreasonably after your initial contact with us, you can make a formal complaint. This leaflet tells you how to get in touch with us and who to contact.


Who can complain?

The procedure is open to everyone who receives a service from the Private Housing and Advice Team within University of London Housing Services.


What can you complain about?

You can complain if you feel that we have not been reasonable or have treated you unfairly.


What should you do first?

If you are unhappy with an aspect of the service provided by our Private Housing and Advice Team, you should first talk to one of our housing advisors and, hopefully, the matter will be resolved.


What if I remain unhappy?

You should then make a complaint using the procedure which is set out below. All complaints should be made in writing, preferably by email if possible, as this helps everyone to be aware of the facts of your case.  If you need help to write down your complaint, please tell us and we will make the necessary arrangements.

We treat all complaints seriously and, in order to deal with them fairly, we have set out the stages that you should follow.  If you miss one of the stages, your complaint will usually be referred back to the person you should have contacted.



Contact the Private Housing and Advice Team Manager at Housing Services.  Your complaint will be dealt with as soon as possible but usually no longer than 10 working days.



If you are not satisfied with the response, or your complaint is about the Private Housing and Advice Team Manager, you should then contact the Head of Housing Services unless he is already aware of the matter (please see paragraph below).

There is no further complaints mechanism available to you unless your complaint is about the Head of Housing Services, or he has prior knowledge of the matter.

If this is the case you should send your written complaint to The Managing Director, CoSector, University of London, Senate House, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HU who will respond as soon as possible but usually in no longer than 10 working days.



You may wish to seek independent advice at any stage of our procedure and should contact a Citizens Advice Bureau, Housing Advice Centre or a solicitor.


If you are a student, you may wish to discuss your complaint with the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA). Their contact details are as follows:

Second Floor
Abbey Gate
57 – 75 Kings Road
Tel: 0118 959 981